Carmel Apple Cake in a Jar
- 1 box (18.25 oz) yellow cake mix
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 Gala apple, peeled, cored and coarsely grated
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- Pinch fo salt
- 3 Gala apples, peeled, cored and diced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 12 9 oz. jars
- 1 1/2 cups jarred caramel sauce
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Coat 12 cups of a jumbo muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray or bake in a 15x10x1 inch jelly roll pan.
- Prepare cake mix as per package directions with oil, eggs and 1 cup water. Fold in grated apple and cinnamon. Divide evenly among prepared muffin cups. Bake for 25-28 minutes until crowned slightly and dry to the touch.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then run a thin knife or spatula around edge and remove cakes directly to a wire rack; cool completely.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add salt, diced apples and cinnamon. Cook 7 to 8 minutes, until slightly tender. Set aside.
- Whip heavy cream and sugar to medium-stiff peaks.
- Once cakes have cooled slice each in half horizontally. If baked in jelly roll pan (instead of jumbo muffin pan) use 2 3/4 inch cookie cutter to cut 24 rounds.
- Fit 1 cake round into a jar, pressing with fingers until flush with bottom of jar. Top with 1 tbsp. of the caramel, 1 tbsp. of the apple mixture and 2 tbsp. of the whipped cream.
- Repeat the layers then add dollop of whipped cream and drizzle with a remaining caramel just before serving.
Recipe from familycircle.com <http://familycircle.com> Nov. 2013